Herbed Cherry Tomatoes on Whole-Grain Bread
Golden or yellow tomatoes have a sweet, mellow flavor that, at its best, is grassy like fresh garden tomatoes, but without excessive tartness. The combination of two colors of tomatoes makes this a very festive summer sandwich.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices hearty whole-grain bread
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small steel bowl. Add basil.
- Lay tomato slices in a single layer into a glass (nonreactive) dish, and pour most of the dressing over them, reserving about 2 tablespoons. Allow to marinate at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Toast the whole grain bread and drizzle with remaining dressing. Arrange tomatoes on the bread and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.