Herbed Mixed Turnips
Rutabagas and turnips have a naturally buttery flavor, especially when young and fresh in the autumn. This makes the pairing with herbs natural.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 lb. turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3⁄4 lb. rutabagas, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook the turnips and rutabagas separately in salted water until they’re al dente (tender, but firm—approximately 10 minutes for turnips, 20 minutes for rutabagas); drain and dry on paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the turnips and rutabagas, and cook over medium-high flame until golden brown. Add herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Serve hot.