Herbed Tomato Gelato (Gelato di herbes e tomati)
Don’t forget, tomatoes are fruit! In all seriousness, tomatoes make for a delicious and unusual frozen dessert ingredient. Give it a try!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 11 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup simple syrup
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a medium pot over low heat, reduce the tomatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Refrigerate mixture 4 hours or overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.