Herbs de Provence Biscuits
The sweet flavors of rosemary, lavender, and thyme will whisk you to the south of France.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. plus ⅛ tsp kosher salt, divided
- 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, herbs, baking powder, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in milk. Using a fork, blend the flour and milk until the dough just comes together.
- Turn onto a floured surface and fold dough over onto itself 6–8 times. (Be careful not to knead or overwork.) Pat into 1" thickness. Cut into circles using a floured round cutter. Place biscuits 2" apart on prepared pan and set aside to rest 10–15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix egg with remaining salt and 1 tablespoon water. Brush lightly onto biscuits, then bake 15–20 minutes, until golden brown. Turn pan halfway through baking to promote even browning.