Herring and Beet Salad
To keep this classic Christmas salad from becoming a shocking shade of pink (unless, of course, you like pink food), arrange the ingredients on a platter, offer the sour cream dressing on the side, and allow your guests to mix their own salads to taste.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups pickled herring pieces
- 2 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and diced
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 2 cups pickled beets, diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- Lemon zest and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. beet juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, beet juice, sugar, and pepper. Fold in herring, potatoes, apples, and beets.