Holiday Apple Crumble Pie
This is one of the easiest from-scratch apple pies out there! You can prepare this pie a day ahead, refrigerate it, and then just bake it an hour and a half before you plan to serve it.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 prepared pastry crust (9"), unbaked
- In a large bowl combine the apples, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Turn to coat all the apple slices in the mixture, then let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine the reserved sugar with the flour and butter. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour and sugar until it forms a crumble mixture.
- Transfer the apples to the unbaked pastry crust. Cover with the crumble topping. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the apples are tender. If the crust or topping are getting too dark just cover with a little aluminum foil. Cool for 1 hour before serving.