Holiday Apple Crumble Pie
This is one of the easiest from-scratch apple pies out there! You can prepare this pie a day ahead, refrigerate it, and then just bake it an hour and a half before you plan to serve it.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 prepared pastry crust (9 inches), unbaked
- In a large bowl combine the apples, 1⁄2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Turn to coat all the apple slices in the mixture, then let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine the reserved sugar with the flour and butter. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour and sugar until it forms a crumble mixture.
- Transfer the apples to the unbaked pastry crust. Cover with the crumble topping. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the apples are tender. If the crust or topping are getting too dark just cover with a little aluminum foil. Cool for 1 hour before serving.