Holiday Apple Slice Cookies
Enjoy a sweet and creative spin on holiday cookies with this yummy, decorative and easy-to-make recipe!
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large Kroger® Granny Smith Apples
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 mini peanut butter cookies
- 4 raspberries
- 8 candy eyeballs
- 8 mini pretzels
- 1 pinch Festive sprinkles
- 1 pinch Green and red holly-shaped sprinkles
- Make the frosting: Add the cream cheese to a medium bowl and whisk until creamy. Add the honey and vanilla, and whisk until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Slice the apples crosswise into ⅛” thick rounds starting 1” up from the bottoms. Each apple should yield 3-4 slices, or 12-16 total. Reserve the remaining apple trimmings for another use. Remove any seeds, then pat the apple slices with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.
- To make the reindeer apple cookies, scoop 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto an apple slice and spread evenly over the surface. Place a mini peanut butter cookie at the lower center of the slice, then place a raspberry on top of the cookie. Add 2 candy eyes to the middle and 2 pretzels on the top as antlers. Repeat to make 3-4 more reindeer cookies.
- To make the star apple cookies, spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese frosting evenly over an apple slice.
- Place a small star-shaped cookie cutter in a small bowl of hot water for 1-2 minutes. Remove the cutter from the water and quickly pat dry, then cut out a star-shaped hole from the center of the apple slice. Place the cutout star in an offset position over the star-shaped hole and decorate with festive sprinkles. Repeat to make 3-4 more star cookies.
- To make the wreath apple cookies, use a small round cookie cutter to cut out a round hole from the center of an apple slice. Transfer the remaining cream cheese frosting to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip, and pipe around the apple slice in circular curlicues, until you have gone all the way around the apple slice 2 times. Decorate with green and red holly-shaped sprinkles. Repeat to make 3-4 more wreath cookies.