Holiday Breakfast Casserole
Make this fresh and fulfilling breakfast casserole before everyone else wakes up and have it ready before it’s time to open presents on Christmas morning.
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade, plus more to serve
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a 3-quart or 4-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and onion. Cook until the sausage has an internal temperature of 160°F. Add the bell pepper and spinach. Cook until wilted. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil and salt. Add the eggs and milk. Stir to combine. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake 2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with fresh basil and refrigerate leftovers.