Holiday Gingerbread Men
These cookies scream holidays, and are the perfect way to spend an afternoon decorating together with family.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tube (7 oz.) decorating cookie icing
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and shortening. Add the egg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and molasses. Add the flour 1⁄2 cup at a time, beating until dough forms.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1⁄4 inch thickness. Using a gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. Place on baking sheets at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies in batches for 12 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate the cookies with icing