Holiday Spice Cookies
These are traditional at holiday buffets and parties. However, they also are a popular gift: simply place a few in a coffee mug and add a bow.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 packed cup dark brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Break the eggs in a large bowl and beat with a fork until frothy. Add the sugar and beat until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder, pepper, cloves, cardamom, almonds, and salt. Slowly combine the dry mixture with the egg mixture. Blend in the lemon juice and zest. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- With floured palms, roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes or until the bottoms are just beginning to brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix hot water with confectioners' sugar (adding more hot water to achieve a pourable liquid) in a small bowl. Dip each cookie in the glaze and set on wire rack to harden.