Holly Jolly Cookies
You’ll have a holly jolly good time whipping up these festive chocolate and peppermint cookie sandwiches.
Serves: 8Prep: 8 hours 45 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 jar (7 oz.) Marshmallow Crème
- 3⁄4 cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, or more to taste
- 5 drops red gel food coloring
- 1 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or large bowl with an electric hand mixer), combine cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix on medium-low speed until oil is fully incorporated.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, working in batches (⅓ at a time); mix until fully incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Chill dough in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 16 balls, about 3 tablespoons each (roughly the size of golf balls).
- In shallow bowl, add powdered sugar. Gently roll dough balls in powdered sugar until well coated, then arrange on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until cooked through and cookies have crackled appearance. Remove from oven; let cool a few minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or large bowl with an electric hand mixer), use spatula to transfer marshmallow crème. Add butter, powdered sugar and milk. Whip on medium-low speed 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture has consistency of frosting.
- Add peppermint extract; whip to incorporate, adding more to taste if desired. Add red food coloring; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- To assemble, pair cookies according to size. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons filling between each pair of cookies, gently pressing together so filling pushes toward edges.
- In shallow bowl, add crushed candy canes. Roll edges of cookies in candy, pressing to adhere.