Home Chef Baked Italian Sausage Farfalle with Garlic Bread
Farfalle pasta gets tossed in a robust tomato sauce with pieces of fennel-flecked Italian sausage, fresh zucchini and mozzarella cheese…bake it to golden-brown perfection and serve!
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1⁄2 ounce grated Parmesan
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise, cut into ¼" half-moons
- 2 Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 5 ounces farfalle pasta
- 6 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 ciabatta, halved horizontally
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon plus 1½ tsp. olive oil, divided
- In a mixing bowl, stir together half the garlic (reserve remaining for zucchini), 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of Parmesan (reserve remaining for pasta). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta in a colander. Return to pot and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set aside. While pasta cooks, start sauce.
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add ½ teaspoon olive oil and Italian sausage to hot pan. Stir occasionally, breaking up with a spoon, until no pink remains, 4-6 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate. Return pan to medium heat and add ½ teaspoon olive oil. Add zucchini and remaining garlic to hot pan. Stir often until zucchini is lightly browned and begins to soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, reserved pasta cooking water, cooked pasta, cooked sausage and remaining Parmesan to pan. Stir until completely combined. Remove from burner.
- Transfer sauce to prepared casserole dish. For best results, use an 8" casserole dish. Top with mozzarella and place on one half of prepared baking sheet. On other half of baking sheet, place ciabatta halves, cut side up, and brush with garlic-Parmesan oil. Bake in hot oven until mozzarella is melted and bread is golden brown, 7-9 minutes. Rest baked casserole 5 minutes. Serve family-style. Bon appétit!