Home Chef Beef Sloppy Joes
For a dish that has “sloppy” in the title, preparing this recipe is anything but! It’s simple, easy to follow and the whole meal comes together in about 30 minutes.
Serves: 2Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 14 ounces ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into ¼” thin rounds
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup coleslaw
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with foil or use nonstick baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 teaspoons olive oil with sweet potato, pinch of salt and pinch of pepper and toss until potato rounds are evenly coated.
- Place rounds on prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes. Flip rounds and baking for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, add pinch of salt and let cool on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan over medium-high heat, sauté 1 teaspoon olive oil and ground beef until no pink remains. Drain excess fat. Add green pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add ketchup, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, Dijon mustard, chili powder and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes until completely assimilated. If necessary, add 1 tablespoon water to thin sauce.
- In a mixing bowl, combine slaw mix, remaining 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until combined and store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- If desired, add buns to oven and bake 3-5 minutes to lightly toast. (To save time, you can do this in the last few minutes of roasting the sweet potato.)
- To serve, fill each bun with half of the mixture and top with half of chilled slaw. Evenly divide sweet potato rounds between each plate.