Home Chef Mushroom Parmesan Penne Pasta
Al dente penne pasta is covered with a Parmesan cream sauce and topped with tender mushrooms for a hearty and comforting meal!
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced into strips
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, cut into ¼” slices
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano, stemmed and chopped
- 4 ounces light cream
- 5 ounces penne pasta
- 1 mini baguette
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and half of the garlic (reserve remaining garlic for bread) to hot pan and cook until soft and aromatic, 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano (reserve a pinch for garnish) and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Remove from burner, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and transfer vegetables to a plate. Wipe pan clean and reserve.
- Return pan to low heat, adding cream and bringing to a gentle simmer. Whisk in Parmesan (reserve a pinch for garnish) and simmer until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Remove from burner and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. While sauce cooks, cook pasta.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes. Reserve ½ cup pasta water, then drain pasta in a colander. Return pasta to pot along with cream sauce and vegetables. Thoroughly combine. If sauce is too dry, add reserved pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. While pasta cooks, toast baguette.
- Halve baguette and place on prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil and top with remaining garlic. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Toast until desired crispness is achieved, 7-9 minutes. Plate dish as pictured, garnishing pasta with reserved oregano and remaining Parmesan. Bon appétit!