Home-Style Cornbread Dressing
Save to My Recipes
This delicious dressing is an essential holiday side dish. Use homemade cornbread and homemade chicken broth with chunks of chicken for the tastiest dressing.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2½ cups chopped celery
- ½ cup butter
- 3–4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 heaping Tbsp. dried sage, crumbled
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram, crumbled
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large, shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" × 15".
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornbread and white bread crumbs.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add sautéed vegetables to bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth until well moistened and then add chicken. Stir in sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, salt, pepper, and beaten egg, blending well.
- Spread mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes until heated through.