Home-Style Cornbread Dressing
This delicious dressing is an essential holiday side dish. Use homemade cornbread and homemade chicken broth with chunks of chicken for the tastiest dressing.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2½ cups chopped celery
- ½ cup butter
- 3–4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 heaping Tbsp. dried sage, crumbled
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram, crumbled
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large, shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" × 15".
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornbread and white bread crumbs.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add sautéed vegetables to bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth until well moistened and then add chicken. Stir in sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, salt, pepper, and beaten egg, blending well.
- Spread mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes until heated through.