Recipe courtesy of Lemon Tree Dwelling
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup brandy, bourbon or rum, (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar and nutmeg.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats a spoon. (Do not boil.)
- Remove from heat; place pan in a bowl with ice and continue stirring mixture for two minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and brandy; stir well.
- Refrigerate until chilled.