Homemade Fortune Cookies
Complete with homemade fortunes, these cute little cookies are the perfect ending to any dinner party. If you get interrupted while folding these delicate cookies and they become too brittle to fold, return them to the oven for several seconds to soften so they will become pliable again.
Makes: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup spelt flour, divided
- 1½ Tbsp. water
- Type or write up your custom fortunes on white paper and cut them into small strips. Fold them in half twice to fit inside the fortune cookies later.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet. Cut a sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together butter and coconut sugar. Add egg white, vanilla, and ⅓ cup flour. Add water and mix until smooth.
- Make a flour outline on the greased baking sheet as a guide for pouring the cookie batter. To do this, dip the rim of a 3" round cookie cutter or cup in a plate with ⅓ cup of flour and press firmly onto baking sheet 2" apart. Spread 1 teaspoon of the batter within each of the flour outlines. Bake 4 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven quickly and remove from baking sheet. Place cookies on parchment paper so the bottoms of the cookies are facing up. Place paper fortunes in the center.
- Gently fold the cookie in half and hold edges together while bending the cookie in the middle to form a fortune cookie shape. Cool on a wire rack.