Homemade Fortune Cookies
If these seem to be too thick, just add water a teaspoon at a time until the batter spreads well. Do not make many at a time because you have to form them while very hot.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with no-stick spray. Write fortunes on 12 strips of paper.
- Mix egg white and vanilla until it becomes very foamy but does not yet form stiff peaks. Mix remaining ingredients into egg white, folding carefully.
- Place teaspoonfuls of batter 4 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Tilt sheet to make batter spread, or spread it with back of a spoon.
- Bake 5 minutes. Quickly remove from oven; remove from cookie sheet with a spatula. Flip cookies over and lay fortune inside.
- Fold cookies over fortunes, then fold cookie over edge of a bowl to crimp middle. Place upside down in muffin cups to hold their shape until they cool.