Homemade Greek Yogurt
Greeks have been making and consuming yogurt for thousands of years. Did you know you can make your own at home?
Serves: 32Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 12 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 16 cups whole milk
- ½ cup plain full-fat yogurt (containing active live cultures)
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the milk and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, and then take the pot off the heat. Do not cover the pot.
- Using a candy thermometer, allow the milk to cool to 110°F–115°F. When you have reached the desired temperature, combine ½ cup of warm milk with yogurt in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add the milk and yogurt back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Turn off the oven. Ladle the milk-yogurt mixture into storage containers (plastic containers are okay because the oven is at a low temperature) and place on a baking tray in the oven. The yogurt will set in approximately 8 hours.
- Refrigerate the yogurt for at least 4 hours. This yogurt will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.