Homemade Mac & Cheese
Creamy and velvety sauce coats tender pasta for a classic homemade macaroni and cheese the whole family will devour. The cheesy sauce is quick to whisk together, then everything is baked together for a crispy finish.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, prepared according to package instructions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons garlic and herb breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 1-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Cook garlic 1 minute. Use whisk to slowly incorporate flour, salt and mustard. Continue stirring 2 to 3 minutes, until thick and smooth. Slowly incorporate milk, pouring slowly while whisking. Stir in about ¾ cup cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheeses are incorporated.
- Remove pot from heat; stir in cooked macaroni. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden.