Gather your apples in early summer for best results.
Makes: 1½ cupsHands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 1½ cups
- 2 lbs. small green, immature apples or crabapples
- Wash apples, trim bad parts, and slice very thinly. Place in a large stockpot with 4 cups water. Cover pan; boil 15 minutes.
- Strain juice through cheesecloth. Do not squeeze the pulp. Reserve the juice. Put pulp back into pan; add an equal amount of water. Cook 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Strain juices through cheesecloth, without squeezing the pulp. When pulp cools, you can press some more juice from it.
- Heat stock to boiling point. Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving ½" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Cap and seal. Process in water-bath canner 10 minutes.