Homemade Pickled Artichoke Hearts
Serve these as appetizers or as a topping to either green salad or pasta salad to shake things up a bit. The flavor improves if served with a little olive oil.
Makes: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 tsp. thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. parsley
- 1⁄4 tsp. rosemary
- 1⁄2 tsp. basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. oregano
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Blanch the artichoke hearts; chill and drain. Place hearts in equal quantities in 4 jars (1⁄2 pint).
- Mix together remaining ingredients; heat in a saucepan to boiling. Pour over hearts, leaving 1⁄2 inch headspace; cap and seal.
- Process 15 minutes in hot-water canner. Let cool; then check lids.