The longer the cucumbers have a chance to pickle, the better the flavor. This is a great picnic dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¾ cups cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. pickling salt
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 2 Kirby cucumbers
- 1 small onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- ¼ cup fresh dill sprigs, firmly packed
- Bring the vinegar, salt, peppercorns, and coriander to a full boil in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Cool completely and strain out solids.
- Scrub the cucumbers, but do not peel them. Cut them into ¼" rounds or slice them into spears.
- Sterilize a 1-quart jar by boiling it in water for 10 minutes or running it through a full dishwashing cycle. The jar should be hot when the vegetables are added.
- Layer the cucumbers, onion, garlic, and dill in the hot jar. Pour in enough of the vinegar to cover them completely. Screw on the lid and refrigerate for at least 3 days before eating. They will keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.