Homemade Sandwich Buns
Perfect for hamburgers, chicken salad, or even peanut butter and jelly, this versatile bread can easily replace any sandwich bread.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup warm water, heated to 110°F
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 1⁄2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast and honey in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Wait 5 minutes for it to bubble.
- Stir in almond milk, egg, salt, and garlic to the yeast mixture. Add flour and knead for 5 minutes on a floured countertop. Place dough in a covered bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Pinch out 1 1⁄2-inch balls of dough. Use your hands to form the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper 2 inches apart. Allow the buns to rise again for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.