Homemade Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Strawberries and rhubarb are the first two fruits of the growing season in many places. This classic pie highlights their compatibility.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 pie crusts (9"), unbaked
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Adjust rack to lower third of oven. Press 1 piecrust into a 9" pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the rhubarb and strawberries. Gently toss to coat. Tip mixture into the prepared pie shell and dot with the butter.
- Brush the edge of the bottom pie shell with the beaten egg so that the top crust will adhere. Top with the second crust and trim the dough to 1" of the panʼs edge. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom edge. Crimp the dough using your fingers. With a knife, cut 4 or 5 slits in the top to vent steam.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust begins to brown. Cool on a rack before serving.