Homemade Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Strawberries and rhubarb are the first two fruits of the growing season in many places. This classic pie highlights their compatibility.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 pie crusts (9 inches), unbaked
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Adjust rack to lower third of oven. Press 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the rhubarb and strawberries. Gently toss to coat. Tip mixture into the prepared pie shell and dot with the butter.
- Brush the edge of the bottom pie shell with the beaten egg so that the top crust will adhere. Top with the second crust and trim the dough to 1 inch of the panʼs edge. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom edge. Crimp the dough using your fingers. With a knife, cut 4 or 5 slits in the top to vent steam.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust begins to brown. Cool on a rack before serving.