Homemade Tartar Sauce
The trick to making tartar sauce is to make sure the eggs are at room temperature and to add only a few drops of oil at a time.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. capers, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
- 1 pickle, chopped
- Put the egg yolks into a metal bowl and whisk vigorously. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and continue whisking. Repeat with a second tablespoon of vegetable oil. Whisk in the salt.
- Add the white wine vinegar. Add 2 more tablespoons vegetable oil, a few drops at a time, whisking vigorously. The mixture should emulsify and thicken.
- Once the mixture has emulsified, add the lemon juice, mustard, cayenne, capers, onion, and pickle. Add the remaining ¼ cup of vegetable oil and process in a blender or food processor. For best results, chill for an hour to give the flavors a chance to blend.