Homemade Toaster Pastries
Make your own breakfast tarts with wholesome homemade fillings and add a little fun to breakfast. You can make a big batch ahead of time to have on hand for a grab-and-go breakfast that will brighten your day!
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (7.5 oz.) Kroger Rolled Pie Crusts
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, green top removed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 Kroger® Grade A Large Egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Greek Blended Vanilla Flavor Nonfat Yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger® Powdered Sugar
- 2 drops pink food color
- Colorful sprinkles (optional)
- Allow the pie crusts to come to room temperature while you prepare the filling. Heat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the strawberries and cut into smaller pieces if they are large. In a bowl mix the strawberries with sugar, cinnamon and corn starch.
- Roll the pie crusts out to smooth and cut each into 4 wedges. Brush one cut edge and half of the rounded edges with the beaten egg and divide the strawberry filling onto one half of each of the 8 wedges. Turn over the pie dough to enclose the filling and seal the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the tarts on the sheet, prick with a fork and brush each with the remaining beaten egg. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Cool at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare the icing by whisking the yogurt, powdered sugar and food color together. Drizzle each tart with the glaze and scatter with colorful sprinkles if desired.
- Cool completely if you are planning to freeze them to have on hand for later. They will keep in the freezer for at least 2 months.
- Here’s a tip: Customize with your favorite fillings, savory items work great here too! Just fill with scrambled eggs, cooked bacon or sausage and cheese, then follow the instructions above. Top with grated cheese when baking (instead of glaze, of course!).