Homemade Unsweetened Almond Milk
Because homemade almond milk doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives, it has a shorter shelf life than the almond milk you purchase in the store. Only make what you plan to drink in 2–3 days. For vanilla almond milk, place 2 pitted dates and 1 teaspoon of real vanilla extract in the blender with almonds and soaking water.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 12 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup unsalted almonds
- 2 cups filtered water
- Place almonds in a small bowl and cover with water. Let soak, uncovered, for 8–12 hours or overnight.
- After 8–12 hours, drain soaking water into a blender and rinse almonds.
- Add rinsed almonds to the blender with soaking water and blend for 2 minutes.
- Place nut bag or cheesecloth over a container and pour blended almond mixture into the nut bag or cheesecloth.
- Twist nut bag or cheesecloth and squeeze the contents, allowing all of the liquid to seep into the container. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.