Honey Apple Pie
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (14.1 oz.) refrigerated pie crust dough
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into bits
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a 9" pie pan with half of the dough, leaving 1" of pastry hanging over the edge of the pan. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and nutmeg. Add the apple slices and mix lightly. Transfer the apple mixture to the prepared pan. Dot with the butter.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the remaining dough into a thin round and cut into ½"-wide strips. Moisten the edge of the bottom pastry with water. Arrange the pastry strips on top of the pie, forming a lattice top. Trim the ends of the strips as necessary and press the ends to the bottom crust. Turn the edge of the bottom crust and strips under and flute to make a high rim.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the pastry is well browned. In a small bowl, stir together the honey and orange zest and pour the mixture through the openings in the lattice. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Let cool to lukewarm and serve.