Honey-Baked Apples with Figs and Walnuts
A mixture of apples and honey is traditional for Rosh Hashanah. It is great for Sukkot, too! You can also try this recipe with slivered almonds or chopped pecans.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped dried figs
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. honey
- 4 Rome or other large baking apples
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup apple juice or cider
- In a small mixing bowl combine the walnuts, figs, cinnamon, cardamom, and honey.
- Cut off and reserve a ½" slice off the top of each apple, then core almost to the bottom. Fill each apple with the walnut mixture and replace top. Place apples in a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour water and juice over apples.
- Cover and cook on high for 3–4 hours or on low for 6–8 hours.