Honey Swirled Pear Gelato (Gelato di miele roteato pera)
The floral notes of the honey and pear dance together like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Give it a twirl!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup honey, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups pear nectar
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 can (15 oz.) pears in light syrup, drained and roughly smashed
- Combine milk, cream, sugar, ⅓ cup honey, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Temper the yolks by adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Add pear nectar, cardamom, and smashed pears. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen. Swirl in the remaining ⅓ cup honey and freeze.