Honey Wheat Bread
Save to My Recipes
This basic bread recipe creates wonderful sandwiches! It’s also perfect paired with a bowl of soup or a seasonal salad.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutes
- 2 cups warm water, heated to 110°F
- 2 Tbsp. yeast
- 4 Tbsp. honey, divided
- 5 cups white whole-wheat flour, divided
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ⅔ cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, combine water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Let sit for 5 minutes until it bubbles.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine 4 cups of flour with coconut sugar, salt, and ground flaxseed.
- With mixer running at low speed, add yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Then add milk, remaining 3 tablespoons of honey, and coconut oil. Add in the remaining flour and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Remove mixing bowl from the electric mixer and cover with a towel to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9" × 5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out and form dough into a loaf shape and place into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F and bake another 15 minutes. The top should be golden brown.