Sesame seeds add not only flavor and crunch to these delicious loaves but fiber and healthy monounsaturated fat as well.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 packages (1⁄4 oz.) instant-blend dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, honey, butter, and salt. Heat over medium heat until butter melts. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes or until just lukewarm. Beat in egg.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour and yeast. Add milk mixture and beat for 1 minute. Then gradually stir in all-purpose flour to make a firm dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead, adding additional flour if necessary, until dough is elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top; cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Grease 2 loaf pans (9 by 5 inches) and set aside. Punch down dough and divide into 2 parts. On a floured surface, roll or pat each part to a 7-by-12-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly, starting with a 7-inch side. Place in prepared pans. Brush with egg white and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake loaves for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Turn loaves onto a wire rack to cool completely.