Honey Wheat Sesame Bread
Sesame seeds add not only flavor and crunch to these delicious loaves but fiber and healthy monounsaturated fat as well.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 packages (¼ oz.) instant-blend dry yeast
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 3–4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- In medium saucepan, combine milk, water, honey, butter, and salt. Heat over medium heat until butter melts. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes, or until just lukewarm. Beat in egg.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl combine whole-wheat flour, yeast, and ½ cup sesame seeds. Add milk mixture and beat for 1 minute. Gradually stir in enough all-purpose flour to make a firm dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead, adding additional flour if necessary, until dough is elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top; cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Grease two 9" × 5" loaf pans with unsalted butter and set aside.
- Punch down dough and divide into 2 parts. On floured surface, roll or pat to 7" × 12" rectangle. Roll up tightly, starting with 7" side. Place in prepared pans. Brush with egg white and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Cover with towel, and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake loaves for 35–45 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.