Honey Whole Wheat Waffles
Sweet honey and nutty whole wheat is a naturally healthful pair. Serve these with a sprinkle of toasted nuts and dried fruits to complete the effect.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Triple-sift cake flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks, honey, melted butter, and milk. Whisk together thoroughly. In another bowl, whip the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour and stir together briefly. Lumps are okay. Add the stiffened egg whites to this mixture and fold together gently until they are just combined. Cook batter in a waffle iron. Serve immediately.