Hoppin’ John with Bacon
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¾ cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Wash the black-eyed peas and bring to a boil in about 6 cups of water. Boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sauté the chopped bacon, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. (Bacon will not be crisp.) Drain any excess accumulated fat from the skillet.
- Drain the black-eyed peas and transfer to a large saucepan. Add the bacon-onion mixture, crushed pepper, rice, and 1¾ cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer about 20 minutes, or until peas and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and black pepper.