Hot or Cold Asparagus Soup
This delightful soup tastes just as good served hot or cold. This fresh, velvety soup has the most beautiful green color.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 small shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. fresh asparagus or 3 packages (10 oz.) frozen, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- Using a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, sauté the shallots in olive oil. When the shallots are softened after about 2 to 3 minutes, add the asparagus and toss for another 3–4 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, and Tabasco sauce. Cover and cook until the asparagus is very tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and process until very smooth, or use an immersion blender directly in soup pot. If you are going to serve it hot, reheat, add cream and milk, and serve. For a cold soup, chill, add cream and milk, and serve. Garnish with chives.