Hot-Milk Sponge Cake
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk, scalded
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add the butter to the milk and keep hot. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs for about 3 minutes on high speed, or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the sugar, beating constantly at medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes. Quickly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the hot milk mixture and the vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.