This is a hotter version of salsa fresca. If you’re a hot pepper aficionado, you’ll have fun seeing how hot you can make your homemade sauce.
Makes: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 red serrano chili pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1⁄8 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set the tomatoes and pepper in a baking dish. Roast them in the oven until the skins blister, about 25 minutes. Let cool, and then peel the pepper.
- Purée the tomatoes (with skin on) and pepper in a food processor.
- Stir in the garlic and salt. Serve.