Hot and Sour Chinese Soup
This traditional Chinese soup can also be made with chicken or beef.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms, boiled for 15 minutes, then cut into strips
- 1 can (6 oz.) can bamboo shoots, drained
- ¼ lb. lean pork, cut into strips
- 1 cake tofu, cut into strips
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- In a soup pot, mix together the broth, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and pork. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tofu, pepper, and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth; add it to the soup and boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly. Reduce heat and stir the egg into the broth. Remove the pot from the heat; stir in the sesame oil and sprinkle with scallions.