Hot and Sweet Italian Sausage Sandwiches
This is a favorite on any Italian menu. When cooked outdoors over coals, the sausages get an added smoky flavor and are fabulous!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium Italian frying peppers
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Italian hot sausages (about 1⁄3 lb. each), cut into pieces
- 2 Italian sweet sausages (about 1⁄3 lb. each), cut into pieces
- 1⁄3 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce
- 4 split hero rolls
- Rinse and seed peppers, and cut into chunks.
- Place olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add peppers and sauté until they are soft. Add the onions and continue to sauté. (Add more olive oil if needed.) Once peppers and onions are soft, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the sausages in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to hot. Place the sauce in a pan to warm. Prepare the hero rolls for toasting.
- Grill the sausages quickly, browning on each side. Toast bread while the sausages are grilling.
- Build hero sandwiches on toasted bread: spread marinara sauce, then add a variety of hot and sweet sausage pieces, then top with peppers and onions. Don’t forget to put out plenty of paper napkins!