Hot and Sweet Peppers with Crispy Tofu
Combining sweet bell peppers with spicy jalapeño and crispy fried tofu creates an irresistible meal filled with flavors and textures.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ Tbsp. avocado oil
- 5 oz. firm tofu, cut into ½" cubes
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp. cold water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat until it shimmers, about 1½ minutes. Add tofu and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove tofu from pan and dry on paper towels. Reserve.
- Add peppers and sauté until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add tamari and broth, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk together arrowroot and water, and pour into the pan.
- When the sauce is thickened and glossy, serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.