Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole
This is a quick and easy version of the classic dish. Serve with warmed corn or whole-wheat tortillas and reduced-fat sour cream.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. safflower or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup mild or medium salsa
- 12 large egg whites
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded extra-sharp reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet and sauté the onion and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Spread the vegetable mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish in an even layer. Spread the beans, then the salsa, over the vegetables.
- Whisk the egg whites, egg yolks, milk, cilantro, and salt together in a large bowl. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, on the middle rack until it is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes.