Hummingbird Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
This old-fashioned fruit-filled cake is perfect for birthdays. It’s delicious topped with luscious cream cheese frosting, and it’s impossible to have just one piece! For an easy weeknight dessert, make the cake one day and frost it the next.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3 very ripe bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 round baking pans (9 inches) with parchment paper and then spray with nonstick cooking spray. Dust pans lightly with brown rice flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch or tapioca starch, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together crushed pineapple in juice, mashed bananas, water, oil, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fully combined.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated. Pour into baking pans.
- Bake cakes for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, they are golden brown, and the top springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool cakes for 5 minutes in their pans and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until frosting is thick enough to spread and very creamy, about 5 minutes. Use to fill the middle layer of the cake and to frost outside of cake. Top frosted cake with chopped walnuts.