This Middle Eastern dip is made from cooked garbanzo beans, which are also known as chickpeas. It tastes best with warmed pita bread wedges and raw vegetables for dipping.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Purée garlic and salt in food processor or blender. Add garbanzo beans and purée to a paste.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, oilive oil, and cumin and blend until smooth. If hummus is too thick, thin it out by adding 1 tablespoon of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid at a time and reblending.
- Transfer dip to a bowl and sprinkle with paprika.