Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
This unusual Purim recipe comes from Eastern Europe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 oz. egg noodles
- Sprinkle the cabbage with the salt. Let stand for 30 minutes, then squeeze dry. Lay on paper towels to soak up excess moisture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the sugar and heat until the sugar browns. Add the onions and cook until they start to wilt. Stir in the cabbage. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. Season with the pepper. Transfer the cabbage and juices to a large bowl and keep warm.
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Quickly toss the noodles with the cabbage mixture. Serve immediately.