Cooking the chicken with the bones and the skin in this dish will make it more flavorful. And it’s best to use a mix of white and dark meat to get a rich flavor.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 lbs. chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ cup sour cream
- Rinse the chicken pieces, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and half the chicken. Cook for 6–8 minutes on each side till browned. Transfer the chicken to a plate and repeat.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Keep 1 tablespoon of fat and add the onion, stirring occasionally for 5–7 minutes. Stir in the pepper and cook for 4–5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and 3 tablespoons of the paprika. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, and oregano. Scrape the bottom of the pan. Place the dark chicken in the pan in a single layer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 35 minutes. Add the breast and cook for 20–25 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a serving dish and cover loosely with foil. Skim off the fat. Stir the rest of the paprika and the sour cream into the skillet. Place on medium-low and cook for 1–2 minutes. As soon as the mixture simmers, remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper as needed.