These hush puppies are delicious with fried catfish! If you don’t have Creole seasoning, use
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer or a deep, heavy skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Creole seasoning.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs with buttermilk, milk, and melted butter. Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in green onions.
- Carefully drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil; do not crowd. The hush puppies will puff up and come to the surface. Fry until golden brown and cooked through. Check the first few and adjust size if hush puppies are browning but still soft in the center.