Ice Cream Dog
This is the perfect way to eat ice cream. Hot dog buns hold the ice cream really well, making it a handheld treat. You can put as many ice cream flavors as you want on them!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 quart pistachio ice cream
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts
- Soak rice overnight for at least 4 hours.
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut cream over medium heat. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla; stir until dissolved. Let cool completely. The sauce can be made and refrigerated a day ahead.
- Drain, rinse, and steam rice over medium heat in a steamer for about 15–20 minutes. Check if the rice is cooked from the thickest part of the pile. If a steamer is not available, put soaked sticky rice in a bowl and cover with a dish or cheesecloth. Cook for 3 minutes in the microwave without adding any water. Check if the rice is cooked. If it is still hard, cook for another 1 minute and check again.
- When the rice is cooked, pour the prepared coconut cream over rice, a little bit at a time. The rice should be covered with sauce but not drowning in it. Stir to mix thoroughly. Add more sauce if needed. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Cut the hot dog buns and split open. Lay Sweet Sticky Rice on the bottom of the bun. Top with 3 scoops of ice cream and roasted peanuts.