Iced Tomato-Basil Bisque
This is an elegant soup, light and lovely as a lunch or as a first course for a fine dinner. It can be made in advance and then served whenever you are ready.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. corn flour
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups all-natural tomato juice
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, stems removed and torn in small pieces
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Combine flour and water to form a smooth paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup kettle. Stir in the garlic and onions and sauté until soft. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour paste, tomatoes, broth, tomato juice, Splenda, lime juice, and basil.
- Stir in the salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and purée in a blender. Reheat and stir in the yogurt immediately before serving.